About Our Company
Named on Deloitte's 2018 and 2020 Technology Fast 50 | 500 lists, MMB Networks is a rapidly growing company located in downtown Toronto, and a leader in Internet of Things (IoT) technologies.
MMB enables the world’s biggest brands to create amazing customer experiences by helping them build and bring wireless products to market. Our expertise in Wi-SUN, WiFi, Bluetooth, Zigbee, Thread, and other wireless technologies is fostering a new generation of connected products.
From strategy and product positioning all the way through to manufacturing and support, we help our customers build mission critical connected products from smart grid meters and door locks, to residential solar energy systems, and even intelligent hydration trackers for professional athletes.
With clients ranging from innovative startups to global household brands, strong strategic partnerships with key industry players, and leadership in international standards bodies – we offer our employees an uncommon breadth of exposure, experience, and leadership as well as a close knit, dynamic, and fun work environment.
MMB’s engineering team is growing, and we are seeking talented and experienced embedded developers who are passionate about IoT products. The ideal candidate has the ability to develop cutting edge embedded IoT applications on Espressif, Silicon Labs, Nordic and ST platforms, and has a great working knowledge of IP and low-power wireless communication standards. This role is suited to those who are excited by the intersection of product design, hardware, software, mobile applications, and the cloud.
As a Lead Embedded IoT Developer, you will work with our architecture team on product requirements and design, and with our engineering team to develop, build and deploy IoT solutions into the world. You will have opportunities to work on complex cross-functional projects for high-profile enterprise customers, as well as self-directed projects to develop innovative prototypes and proof of concept demos. The role also provides the opportunity to mentor junior developers, and lead them in day to day engineering activities.
We encourage you to present a portfolio of your IoT and product development experience, with a focus on the microcontrollers you have developed on and the connected device classes (lights, sensors, thermostats, door locks).
Benefits to the Candidate (You)
- You’ll help influence the next generation of IoT products using industry leading technology.
- You’ll work alongside and learn from leading experts in the connected product networking field.
- You’ll gain significant exposure to the latest IoT products and applications that are being deployed across the world today.
- We value your innovative ideas and your energy. MMB provides an atmosphere that allows your creativity to become a reality - where engineers are encouraged to be thought leaders and supported in developing new and interesting ideas.
- We’re a young, tight-knit team that makes the most of our dynamic startup environment. You’ll have the opportunity to take part in group trips and events celebrating our many successes as we continue to learn and grow together.
- You’ll also enjoy great health and dental benefits, fun internal incentives, and team social events.
- Temporary measures in response to COVID-19 are in place for this role. For the foreseeable future this role will be primarily remote with intermittent requirements to perform some work in our labs under strict conditions and protocols designed to keep you safe. Plus, our offices are steps from Union Station - providing you with an easy commute and plenty of lunch options for those times when you are in the lab.
What You’ll be Doing
- Working with our experienced architecture and development teams to scope, design, and build the next generation of connected devices and platforms.
- Building prototypes and demos for key customers and strategic partners.
- Developing robust, high-performing applications on platforms like Esspressif, Silicon Labs, Nordic and ST, with best practices like unit testing and code review.
- Mentoring junior engineers, and assisting them with day to day development.
- Working with our QA team to validate and refine products for real-world applications.
- Interacting with key customers to understand product requirements, and address critical issues.
- Maintaining a broad knowledge of the standards and latest IoT device industry trends, including participating in standards body working groups.
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, computer science, or equivalent.
- 5+ years of experience in embedded firmware development.
- High proficiency developing on industry-leading real-time operating systems with C / C++.
- Proficient with Linux operating systems.
- Experience with development and deployment of connected IoT devices.
- Experience developing on market-leading 802.15.4 SoC’s (Silicon Labs, NXP, Nordic, Microchip, etc.).
- Experience developing Espressif ESP32 and other market-leading 802.11 / BLE MCU’s.
- Experience with serial interfaces (UART, SPI, RS485, I2C, etc.).
- Experience with debug interfaces (JTAG, SWD, etc.)
- Experience with TDD, Unit-Testing, and Integration Testing in embedded applications.
- Experience with gathering requirements and writing design specifications.
- Deep interest in the IoT space and wireless communication.
- Excellent problem-solving and debugging skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- (Asset) Background and experience in BLE applications development, Thread / low-power IP networking.
How to Apply
You can easily apply by emailing us at: email@example.com. Please include the job title you’re applying for in your subject line.